There are a few recent articles talking about what students should not to take to college including 10 Things NOT to Buy Your College-Bound Student and 10 things NOT to buy for college. One interesting item on both lists is back to college HDTVs.
Their reasoning is sound. They’re expensive and kids aren’t “watching” TVs as much as they watch their phones, tablets, and laptops these days. If they’re planning to play games, that’s another possible reason not to send back to college HDTVs with them. Just like you didn’t put a TV in your teen’s room that might prevent studying or keep them up to late, the same logic could apply to a college student in a dorm room.
While it’s true that kids are probably more addicted to Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Instant Video on their mobile devices than watching their favorite shows on TV, an HDTV still has a place in a college dorm room.
There are still TV shows that are popular with college-age youth that are not available any other way, but on a TV. And let’s face it, when given a choice between watching a show on a 22-inch or smaller monitor or laptop screen and a 32-inch full HDTV, there really isn’t a comparison.
It’s much more fun and interesting to share your TV experiences with special friends and you can’t do that as easily on your laptop. Shows like Game of Thrones, Gossip Girl, The League, It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia, The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Arrested Development, Parks and Rec, and Scandal are very popular with college students and keeping up with the latest story lines is fun and can actually help you meet new friends.
Need to mount the HDTV on a wall? Be sure and check out these easy-to-install TV mounts.
So given that it might be possible to send an HDTV with your student, we put together a list of our favorite models for your consideration. First, we think 32-inch HDTVs are in the college sweet spot. They’re priced right and are small enough to fit in many dorm rooms. They’re also large enough to really enhance the experience of watching shows and video. Read on to see if one of these back to college HDTVs should be on your “what to bring” list.
Top 5 Back To College HDTVs
Besides the 32-inch specification, in order to keep the cost in-line, we only placed 720p 60 Hz HDTVs on our list. You still get standard HD and a reasonably fast refresh rate, but you also get a price that will make you smile when compared to 1080p 120 Hz models. All these TVs are also LED models which is the standard right now.
#5 – Samsung UN32EH4003 32-Inch 720p 60Hz LED TV (2012 Model)
The Samsung UN32EH4003 is an older model that if still available will definitely save you money. Buying an older model 720p HDTV is really not a problem since 720p technology has been around for a long time unchanged. It has some great features for your college-bound student.
- Brilliant, clear picture quality
- Dolby Digital Plus/Dolby Pulse advanced surround sound
- Wide Color Enhancement Plus for vibrant, more natural-looking images
- ConnectShare Movie allows you to watch videos, listen to music, or view pix from a USB connection without needing a laptop or other special equipment
- Standard HD LED picture quality
- Clear Motion Rate of 60 to provide clear, sharp fast-moving images common to action-packed movies and TV while eliminating distortion
- ENERGY STAR-qualified which colleges desire
- Ports include 2-HDMI, 1-USB, and 1-Component In
- VESA Size is 200×200
- Dimensions are 29.1 x 19.6 x 5 inches and 13.2 lbs. with stand and 29.1 x 17.5 x 3.7 and 11.9 lbs. without stand
#4 – VIZIO E320i-B2 32-Inch 720p 60Hz Smart LED HDTV
The VIZIO E320i-B2 is a brand new E-Series model HDTV with an ultra-thin frame, great picture, and WiFI capability. This model is a Smart HDTV which is more difficult to find in this price range. Your student will enjoy the ability to connect to their favorite content using apps like Netflix, VUDU, Hulu Plus, YouTube, and Pandora right on their HDTV. Here are its main features.
- Crisp 720p standard HD picture
- Smart TV with VIZIO Internet Apps Plus experience connects your student to great content using apps like Netflix, VUDU, Hulu Plus, YouTube, and Pandora right on their HDTV
- Ultra-narrow 10mm frame, 30% thinner profile, and slim new base will look great in any dorm room
- Vibrant LED-lit picture
- Built-in WiFi Connect with high-speed wireless
- Ports include 2-HDMI
- Dimensions are 28.6 x 6.8 x 18.6 inches with a weight of 11.5 lbs.
- ENERGY STAR-qualified
#3 – Samsung UN32EH5000 32-Inch 1080p 60Hz LED HDTV
The Samsung UN32EH5000 is one of two full HD 1080p models in our list. They cost a little more, but the difference in picture quality is noticeable. You can expect better image clarity, deeper blacks, purer whites, and more realistic details even for action-packed scenes. The ultra-thin profile draws you into the picture as if your are actually there. Here are some of its main features.
- Full HD 1080p HDTV with a clear motion rate of 120
- Wide Color Enhancement gives you great color and natural video images
- ConnectShare Movie allows you to use the UN32EH5000’s built-in USB 2.0 port to watch videos/TV, play your favorite songs, or look at pictures without a PC or other special equipment
- TheaterSound HD provides a high-definition surround sound, multi-channel content experience through built-in speakers
- Game Mode provides a more realistic gaming experience
- Three on/off timers
- Ports include 2-HDMI, 1-Composite video, 1-USB 2.0, and 1-Audio out
- VESA size is 200x200mm
- Dimensions are 29.1W x 19.6H x 7.5D inches with the stand and 29.1 x 17.5 x 3.7 inches with the stand and weight is 14.6 lbs. with the stand and 13.0 lbs. without
#2 – LG Electronics 32LN5300 32-Inch 1080p 60Hz LED TV
The second of two full HD 1080p HDTVs in our list, the LG 32LN5300 has excellent picture quality, brightness, clarity, and color detail. It’s not a Smart TV, but with almost double the resolution of standard HD, full HD 1080p is immediately noticeable for its crisp, clear picture quality. With built-in easy calibration and a motion quality index of 120, you can be sure you will always get the best picture possible. Check out its great features.
- Full HD 1080p LED picture resolution
- Motion clarity index of 120 means sharp, crisp picture detail even for fast-action, motion-packed videos and TV
- Easy self-calibration takes the guesswork out of getting the perfect picture
- Ports include 2-HDMI, 1-USB, 1-RF, 1-Component, 1-Composite, 1-Digital audio out (optical)
- Dimensions are 29.1W x 17.2H x 3.1D inches with the stand and 29.1W x 19.6H x 8.2D inches without the stand
#1 – LG Electronics 32LN530B 32-Inch 720p 60Hz LED TV
Not being a Smart TV and having standard HD resolution may sound like a drawback, but the price is right and the size will fit nicely in most dorm rooms. LG Electronics is known for making great LED HDTVs that provide solid value and a sharp picture with looks that will fit into any dorm decor. Here are some of this LG model’s main features.
- Standard HD 720p direct LED resolution
- A motion clarity index of 120 gives all of your fast-paced, action-packed videos and TV ultra-sharp picture quality
- Ports include 2-HDMI, 1-USB, 1-RF, 1-Component, 1-Composite, 1-Digital audio out (optical)
- Easy self-calibration settings for the highest quality picture
- Dimensions are 29.1W x 17.2H x 3.1D inches without the stand and 29.1W x 19.6H x 8.2D inches with the stand
Back To College HDTVs Comparison Chart
|Title||LG Electronics LN530B 32LN530B 32-Inch LED-lit 720p 60Hz TV||Samsung UN32EH5000 32-Inch 1080p 60Hz LED HDTV (Black)||VIZIO E320i-B2 32-Inch 720p 60Hz Smart LED HDTV||LG 32LN5300 32 Inch 1080p 60Hz Direct LED HDTV Value Bundle||Samsung UN32EH4003 32 720p 60Hz LED HDTV|
|Feature||You won't believe your eyes. LG?s LED technology delivers amazing brightness, clarity and color detail.|
With our Smart Energy Saving Features, you can conserve money and energy.
Getting your picture looking great is easier than ever with Picture Wizard.
You won't believe your eyes. LG's LED technology delivers amazing brightness, clarity and color detail.^With our Smart Energy Saving Features, you can conserve money and energy.^Getting your picture looking great is easier than ever with Picture Wizard.
|Full HD 1080p|
Clear Motion Rate 120
Wide Color Enhancement
TV with stand (Width x Height x Depth): 29.1-Inch x 19.6-Inch x 7.5-Inch, TV without stand (Width x Height x Depth): 29.1-Inch x 17.5-Inch x 3.7-Inch
|VIZIO Internet Apps Plus -Instantly enjoy the latest hit movies, TV shows, music and even more premium apps straight from the Internet to your TV.|
Full-Array LED Backlight -Distributes LEDs across the entire screen delivering superior light uniformity and picture performance
Built-in Wi-Fi -Connect with high-speed wireless for easy, clutter-free Internet access.
E-Series Signature Design -An ultra-narrow 10mm frame, a 30% thinner profile, and slimmer new base makes the new E-Series a perfect upgrade to any room.
2 HDMI ports -perfect for connecting all your high definition entertainment devices to the TV
|Disfruta nítidas y vibrantes imágenes a 720p|
Resolucion 1366 x 768 Pixeles
|Height||19.6 inch||19.6 inch||18.65 inch||24 inch|
|Weight||14.8 pound||14.55 pound||11.46 pound||33.95 pound||22.05 pound|
|Width||8.2 inch||29.1 inch||6.83 inch||8 inch|
|Length||29.1 inch||7.5 inch||28.58 inch||36 inch|
|Warranty||1 year parts and labor||1|
|Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews|
|Link||More Info||More Info||More Info||More Info||More Info|
Product prices and availability are accurate as of Jul 24 18:18:18 UTC but are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on the merchant site at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of our list? Which HDTV are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
As always, thanks for reading our flat screen TV post! We sincerely hope that this article has provided you with valuable information that helps you find the perfect HDTV from the all the available back to college HDTVs!